Wednesday, September 26, 2012

For Terminal Illness, Assisted Suicide Isn't The Answer


This story has been told before, but with things gearing up in Massachusetts and several other places, it’s worth repeating – sometimes people with terminal illnesses live far longer than predicted – so assisted sucide or euthanasia is not the answer.
Physician speaks on Oregon experience of assisted suicide
Twelve years ago, a patient visited Dr. Kenneth Stevens after being diagnosed with a form of cancer that would kill her in six months without treatment, seeking drugs to end her life. Over a course of the next few weeks Dr. Stevens spoke to her about other options.
"If my doctor had believed in assisted suicide, I would be dead. I thank him and all my doctors for helping me to choose 'life with dignity.' Assisted suicide should not be legal. I hope Massachusetts does not make this terrible mistake," she wrote in a 2011 letter to the Boston Globe. more

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page