Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Ugly Face Of The New Eugenics

Read every word of this story and tell me this isn’t eugenics live and well. Sad, disgusting, and exactly what will happened to tens of thousands of people with disabilities as “parsimonious medicine” – read rationing, becomes more and more a reality.
Brick Walls
I am going to try and tell you what happened to us on January 10, 2012, in the conference room in the Nephrology department at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
We arrived for our regular Nephrology visit with Amelia’s doctor who has seen her for the last three years. She examines Amelia and sends us for labs. I ask about the transplant and she says we have about six months to a year until she needs one. She tells us she reserved the conference room and when we get back from labs, we can meet with the transplant team and he can tell us about the transplant process.
. . . He says about three more sentences when something sparks in my brain. First it is hazy, foggy, like I am swimming under water. I actually shake my head a little to clear it. And then my brain focuses on what he just said.
I put my hand up. “Stop talking for a minute. Did you just say that Amelia shouldn’t have the transplant done because she is mentally retarded. I am confused. Did you really just say that?” more

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page