Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Exactly: We Need Palliative Care, Not Killing


More sanity from the UK, from the sister of the boy portrayed in the movie Lorenzo’s Oil.
I refused to help my father die
"Put me out of my misery." The words were my father's. He lay, body riddled with septicaemia, suffering horribly in a hospital ward, as the rude, rough nurses were too busy with paperwork to relieve his pain. I couldn't believe this was my father, the man who had devoted his life to keeping his son Lorenzo alive. The story of how he and my stepmother had struggled 24/7 so that Lorenzo, robbed of his faculties by adrenoleukodystrophy, should live without pain or indignity, had been so remarkable that Hollywood made a movie about it, Lorenzo's Oil. more

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page