Monday, September 27, 2010

Mothers Refusing To Bow To Genetic Discrimination - Good!


On the surface refusing pre-natal testing seems a little off – unless you know that because of this testing, there is now widespread genetic discrimination against those with genetic anomalies, most often those diagnosed in-utero with Down Syndrome, 90% of which become terminated pregnancies.
WHY PRENATAL TESTING HARMS AS MUCH AS IT HELPS
My pregnancy has been an easy one. No morningsickness, more than ample weight gain, minimal aches and pains and good rest. Yet as my husband, Peter, and I walked into the doctor’s office for our first prenatal appointment, I said, “I am dreading this visit.”
Our daughter, who is now 4½, has Down syndrome. She was born when I was 28. Although there is no known cause for Down syndrome (the presence of an extra 21st chromosome), as soon as I conceived Penny, my chances of having another baby with Down syndrome increased significantly, from 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 100. Those chances only increase further as I age. more

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page